This is a list of various errors that have occurred "over the years" during building VLC with windows, with their resolutions. Of course, if it's not here, google is your friend.
"unix2dos" command not found: this meant "you forgot to install mingw-utils"
- It doesn't link, and complains about missing gcc symbols: You missed this line in the instructions:
Use text editor to change MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.0\libstdc++.la file (line should be library_names=) due to bug in latest MinGW.
Originally, there was apparently a bug with 4.4.0 GCC (not 4.4.1), fixed thus (except that in reality, you must use TDM, not vanilla GCC, because you need sljl exception handling):
Then, update Mingw GCC to 4.4.0 by downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/GCC%20Version%204/gcc-full-4.4.0-mingw32-bin-2.tar.lzma/download and extracting it to C:\Mingw (replacing files when asked). Finally, you'll gave to fix the file C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.0\libstdc++.la by opening it and changing the line defining library_names so that it reads
- Compilation stops early, after configure was complaining about mismatched quotes:
Check the VLC_COMPILE_HOST variable in your config.h - if it's Option f is not valid then hostname -f fails (on Windows, there is no such option as -f). In configure.ac change
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(VLC_COMPILE_HOST, "`hostname -f 2> /dev/null || hostname`", [host which ran configure])
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(VLC_COMPILE_HOST, "`hostname`", [host which ran configure])
- If compile complains about a config.h and pthread.h not found problem, just delete config.h
- If building self-contained packages fails with make: zip: Command not found then download the following file and extract it to C:\Msys\1.0 :
- If building self-contained packages fails with make: 7z: Command not found then copy 7z.exe from C:\Program Files\7-Zip in to C:\Msys\1.0\bin
- If building self-contained packages fails with Error: cannot locate makensis tool then use:
PATH=/c/Program\ Files/NSIS/:$PATH make package-win32