What is cool in 0.9.0
This page is a drafted intended to explain what are the cool features of VLC media player 0.9, codename Grishenko.
Think about it in a "Cool features from kernelnewbies"-like page.
The 0.9.0 version of VLC media player adds a new interface module for Linux, Unix and Windows, a media library and an improved playlist, many new inputs and codecs support and many new audio and video filters.
For video playback, new protocols, new codecs, new demuxers and many bugfixes have been added to support more formats.
For audio playback, cover art and metadata support (and editing) have been vastly enhanced. It can play audio when the playback speed is changed.
For the developers, libVLC has been simplified and improved, many bindings for many languages were added and there is a new Mac OS X Framework. Scripts written in lua can expand VLC media player's capacities.
For more details, please read Next_changes.
A new interface module based on the Qt toolkit has been added to VLC. If you are a GNOME user, before trolling, please read this.
This new interface module has a few improvements on the old one:
- Simplified settings and dialogs
- Media library integration
- Album art displaying and metadata editing
- Live activation of Video and audio filters
- Basic encoding profiles
- Multiple start modes (classic, enhanced and minimalist)
- System tray icon and minimizing
- Fullscreen controler
And many other improvements and bugfixes.
Moreover, some global hotkeys plugin can be found on the forum.
The playlist has been improved in many ways, in addition to the new Media Library (very simple so far, but will be extended in the future):
- Live Searching in the playlist,
- Youtube, Dailymotion, Google Video and similar services URL can be scripted in VLC to play directly those URLs,
- last.fm submission support,
- Album art support,
- Better metadata tagging reading and writing support for audio files.
A lot of new decoders, demuxers, and protocols have been added.
There are new codecs (Flash video variants, Camescope codecs, Atrac3, H.264 PAFF, APE audio, RealVideo, VC-3, Fraps and others), improvements in the demuxers and new features (subtitles format rework with many new formats, Tivo2 and MIDI support), better tag supports (fix of APE, AAC, OGG tags)
Many new audio and video filters have been added: