Difference between revisions of "What is cool in 0.9.0"
|Line 63:||Line 63:|
== Developers ==
== Developers ==
== Misc ==
== Misc ==
Revision as of 18:43, 1 September 2008
This page is a drafted intended to explain what are the cool features of VLC media player 0.9, codename Grishenko.
Think about it in a "Cool features from kernelnewbies"-like page.
The 0.9.0 version of VLC media player adds a new interface module for Linux, Unix and Windows, a media library and an improved playlist, many new inputs and codecs support and many new audio and video filters.
For video playback, new protocols, new codecs, new demuxers and many bugfixes have been added to support more formats.
For audio playback, cover art and metadata support (and editing) have been vastly enhanced. It can play audio when the playback speed is changed.
For the developers, libVLC has been simplified and improved, many bindings for many languages were added and there is a new Mac OS X Framework. Scripts written in lua can expand VLC media player's capacities.
For more details, please read Next_changes.
A new interface module based on the Qt toolkit has been added to VLC. If you are a GNOME user, before trolling, please read this.
This new interface module has a few improvements on the old one:
- Simplified settings and dialogs
- Media library integration
- Album art displaying and metadata editing
- Live activation of Video and audio filters
- Basic encoding profiles
- Multiple start modes (classic, enhanced and minimalist)
- System tray icon and minimizing
- Fullscreen controler
And many other improvements and bugfixes.
Moreover, some global hotkeys plugin can be found on the forum.
The playlist has been improved in many ways, in addition to the new Media Library (very simple so far, but will be extended in the future):
- Live Searching in the playlist,
- Youtube, Dailymotion, Google Video and similar services URL can be scripted in VLC to play directly those URLs,
- last.fm submission support,
- Album art support,
- Better metadata tagging reading and writing support for audio files.
A lot of new decoders, demuxers, and protocols have been added.
There are new codecs support, like Flash video variants, Camescope codecs (M2TS ones), Atrac3, H.264 PAFF, APE audio, RealVideo, VC-3, Fraps and others, but also better decoding and better performances.
There are improvements in the demuxers and new supports (subtitles format rework with many new formats, Tivo2, OMA or MIDI support).
Tag supports of audio files have vastly been improved(fix of APE, AAC, OGG tags,...)
This version alos supports DVB windows devices (BDA), iSight webcams, v4l2 on linux and many other ones.
Many new audio and video filters have been added:
- New video filters like puzzle game, colour extracting, sharpen, logo erasing, bluescreen and more have been added.
- New audio filters have introduced Replay Gain support, Faster/Slower audio playback with pitch correction and a spatializer.
Some video filters can now be streamed.
- libVLC has been rewritten ? and supports externally built plugins
- VLCKit, a Mac OS X Framework, enables external developers to develop applications around VLC.
- New bindings can be found on the wiki and the forums
A new update system, more secured, was developed for this release.
New localizations in Finnish, Persian, Polish, Punjabi, Bulgarian have joined the old ones.