Note: You can practice editing at the Sandbox page whenever you like.
This guide is still in the process of being written
Please follow these guidelines when editing this wiki. There will be more guidelines later.
This wiki uses the same general syntax as Wikipedia, because both use MediaWiki markup.
This wiki does not support the VisualEditor extension that Wikipedia does.
Familiarising yourself with wikimarkup is probably a good idea, and the convenient one-page summary of wiki syntax is provided at the English Wikipedia here. The basics of it can be learned within minutes, and the Edit Toolbar includes a "Help" section that will refresh your memory if you forget.
VideoLAN wiki syntax
- To make a bulleted list, begin lines with asterisks
- To make a numbered list, begin lines with pound signs
#(which will be automatically re-numbered if you add or remove items—this is generally smart for long or frequently-changing lists).
- The formula for creating an internal link is [[target page]] or [[target page|text to display]]
- There are several ways to create external links: a simple outgoing link, a shortened link, or a shortened link with alternate text:
- to link to a Wikipedia article on "example", use [[Wikipedia:example]]
- Use the editing toolbar to help you; it provides buttons to help you out.
- Keep things simple, and don't be afraid to make mistakes.
- Adding a line after a sentence will not make the next bit appear on a new line: for the convenience of coders, it will appear on the same line. To get it on a different line, either use
<br>or two lines.