This page summarize the current list of ideas for VideoLAN project, for Google Summer Of Code 2017. The list is not exhaustive, and is not limitative. Feel free to apply with your own idea!
- 1 Introduction & Information
- 2 Key ideas for VLC
- 3 Key ideas for VLMC
Introduction & Information
This page list the ideas for VLC and VLMC.
VLC media player
VLC media player is a cross-platform multimedia player, encoder and streamer application. It is one of the most successful open-source projects without any professional structure underneath.
VLC media player is downloaded at an approximate monthly rate of 40 millions from the main website and that's not including third-party distributions (Linux)!
VideoLAN Movie Creator
VLMC currently awaits a transition to the current libvlc API and it's actual 1.0 release!
Summer of Code
If selected and developed, SoC projects for VLC and VLMC will be included in later releases.
All projects are covered by the GPL (v2+) or LGPL (v2.1+) licenses depending on the module.
Compile VLC or VLMC
This may sound trivial, but it's harder than many expect. See https://wiki.videolan.org/Category:Building/ for more informations.
Provide a small patch
Let's get in touch
We have 3 major communication channels: Our mailing-lists to discuss patches and further development related topics. Furthermore, we have our web forums for VLC-related end-user support - a VLMC section will be created once the product is published. Finally, there is our IRC channel #videolan (for VLC) and #vlmc on the Freenode network. It's open to any kind of discussion. Usage issues, questions how to compile VLC/VLMC, getting to know the fellow developers, etc.
Key ideas for VLC
Fuzz VLC (and maybe LibVLC and VLC ports) with LibFuzzer
libFuzzer ((http://llvm.org/docs/LibFuzzer.html).) is a library for coverage-guided fuzz testing.
- The first step of this GSoC project is to implement Fuzz Targets (http://llvm.org/docs/LibFuzzer.html#fuzz-target) to test various parts of the VLC project. The non exhaustive parts will be the following VLC modules API: "decoder", "encoder, "access", "packetizer", "demuxer". For each parts, the student will have to understand the module API in order to effectively implement the target.
- The second step is to find valid corpus (http://llvm.org/docs/LibFuzzer.html#corpus) for every module types and for every modules (mkv input for mkv demuxer, mp4 input for mp4 demuxer, h264 input for h264 decoder...).
- The third step is to host and run the fuzzer. It's not decided yet if the fuzzer will be hosted by google (https://github.com/google/oss-fuzz) or by the VideoLan association.
- If there is enough time, the fourth and final step is to fix the issues that has emerged during the previous steps
Proposed mentor: tguillem
Other ideas coming soon
Key ideas for VLMC
Other ideas coming soon
|VideoLAN Google Summer of Code (GSoC/SoC) mentoring projects|
|2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 (GCi 2011 • SOCIS x264 2011) • |