Google Summer of Code 2011.
- 1 Introduction & Information
- 2 Key ideas for VLC
- 3 VLC Student Proposals
- 4 VLMC
Introduction & Information
- This page list the ideas for VLC and VLMC
- There is also a separate page for project ideas for X264: SoC x264 2011.
If you are a student, please read the rules and advice.
VLC media player
VLC media player is a cross-platform multimedia player, encoder and streamer application. It is one of the most successful open-source projects without any professional structure underneath.
VLC media player is downloaded at an approximate monthly rate of 5 millions from the main website and that's not including third-party distributions (Linux)!
Template:X264 is probably the most popular open source video compression software, used worldwide for applications such as web video, television broadcast, and Blu-ray authoring. It outclasses practically all commercial implementations both speed and compression-wise. While not actually part of VLC or ffmpeg, it is a major library used by both, licensed under the GPL. Due to its popularity in the commercial world (for example, Youtube and Facebook rely on it), many companies have offered bounties in the past for features and improvements that they found useful.
Summer of Code
If selected and developed, SoC projects for VLC will be included in later releases; SoC projects for x264 will be included in the main tree of the project.
All projects are covered by the GPL licence. (v2+)
Ideas for VLC and VLMC
This page is split in three lists of ideas:
- The main ideas are what seem to be key projects for VLC and should be more thrilling than the other ones; we have assigned a potential mentor to each of these.
- Phonon ideas, for KDE/Phonon work.
- The other ideas are less detailed but could be good ideas too.
- VLMC ideas
- Mini Projects are short-span projects which can be given as Qualification tasks or extended to be Full Summer of Code project.
- Original good ideas will be valued. Last year, half of the ideas were given by students. We don't want to impose anything. This is free and Open Source software.
If you don't want to apply for SoC but want other ideas to develop on, check the Mini Projects page!
And on the IRC channel, you can have even more ideas.
Ideas for x264
For x264 ideas, please see SoC x264 2011.
Key ideas for VLC
We are looking for a skilled audiophile that knows a lot about audio theory and practice:
- to create or implement new algorithms, like SRS WoW or other 3D effects
- to work on channels mixing,
- to work on tracks mixing,
- to create scriptable new audio filters in lua and enable users to create whatever audio filtering function they want in a Lua script.
- LADSPA or other libraries integration will be interesting.
This project needs some good audio knowledge and good C experience.
Proposed mentor: geal
UPNP DLNA Server and Client
Provide SD module for DLNA shares being compliant with DLNA specification as well as software (say, mediatomb, xbmc, etc) and hardware implementations.
Provide DLNA plugin for DLNA server compliant with opensource (xbmc, djmount, etc) and proprietary (PS3, xbox360, etc) DLNA clients.
Be smart enough to provide "presets" for known DLNA media clients with limited features (PS3, for instance) which require additional quirks or hacks or items to be transcoded.
Proposed mentor: ivoire or Meuuh
Assembly optimizations in VLC
If you are fond of writing ASM and you are fluent in MMX/SSE2/SSE4, there are many interesting things in VLC to speed up.
- Profiling VLC.
- memcpy implementations in SSE* and MMX (see modules/misc/memcpy/fastmemcpy.h)
- video filters ASM speedups (see modules/video_filter/blend.c)
- audio filters ASM speedups (see modules/audio_filter/equalizer.c)
- Porting other ASM video filters to VLC.
This project needs some good ASM knowledge and good C experience.
- Stuff to read: http://www.agner.org/optimize/
Proposed mentor: jb
VLC Test Suite
This project aims at making automatic tests to improve VLC quality.
- Write a series of tests for vlc-internal
- Integrate a framework for automated plugins testing with the automake build system
- Automate the different codec playback/mux/etc tests
- Automate the subtitles tests
- Write tests for the different bindings: Mac OS X Framework/Python Bindings... etc.
This project is a code project, require good knowledge of C
Proposed mentor: Rémi
VLC Personnal Cloud Project 2.0
The personal cloud project is a simple project to allow people to play their media files anywhere in the world.
Through the http interface of VLC, a user can:
- list the medias from the Media Library,
- play those medias,
- those medias get transcoded and streamed in:
- iPhone format
- Android format
- A VLC webplugin
A good example of the aim is http://www.vodobox.c.la/
This project has to work on the configuration and NAT traversal.
This projects needs knowledge in HTML and JS; it might require C coding.
Proposed mentor: dionoea
VLC for Anime
Proposed mentor: jb
Menus and such needs to be improvements and fixed.
Automatic LibVLC bindings generation
LibVLC can be used from several programming languages like Java or python to embbed VLC feature inside another application. Anyway, maintaining these binding is power consuming. VLC needs a way to automatically generate theses binding for a large set of programming languages and keep them up-to-date easily. We advice to use Swig (from http://www.swig.org/) but any other tool is accepted too.
Proposed mentor: ivoire
VLC Student Proposals
Mobile Remote Control
(proposed by akashm1990)
The aim is to make a mobile remote control application for VLC running on the PC. This would be a native application.
The application will run on a mobile phone connected to the local network over WiFi.(probably using the http interface)
In addition to the usual remote control functionalities such as play,pause, open new file,volume control,etc. the application aims to implement 2 specific functionalities:
- On receiving an incoming call, if a video is playing on the PC, it will pause, or if music is playing, the volume may reduce. (user configurable)
- On receiving an incoming text message, the video playing on screen is paused and the text is displayed onscreen. After a predetermined period of time, the video starts playing again.
Target Platforms: Android, Symbian(QT)
A video showing the auto pause functionality using Android emulators and the VLC Python API is shown here:
VLMC is a non-linear cross-platform video editor based on VLC. We're looking for student(s) with good C++ skills and some experience with Qt with lots of passion of hacking.
Hang with us at #vlmc or #videolan on irc.freenode.net and talk to the developers directly!
To get selected:
1. Download and build VLMC and start playing with it.
2. Implement some feature(s) or fix some bug(s), search VLMC's bug tracker.
3. Send your patch to email@example.com for evaluation and work on your GSoC proposal.
4. Get selected and work on your project!
You'll be greatly appreciated if you complete any of the proposed qualification tasks: (in increasing level of difficulty)
1. Bug 134: Update labels and strings when locale is changed.
2. Bug 61: Improve project timeline widget to have clip thumbnail.
3. Bug 237: Fix Detached Video Widget on Mac OS when a file is played.
4. Bug 145: Project preview has no sound on Windows.
5. Bug 196: Fix distorted audio playback in project preview.
6. Bug 144: On some platforms, rendered video file has no sound. Identify the problem and fix it.
Proposed mentor: etix
VLMC needs a GUI make over, using Qt APIs such as graphics view, animation, states etc. Correcting those widgets such as the import window, provide alternative widget so VLMC better fits with the video editing needs.
Many widgets can be rewritten : Import, Library, Clip property... be creative !
Quality Improvements: Writing Tests and fixing LibVLC APIs
Proposed mentor: ? (needs a VLC developer to mentor this one)
While rendering preview and project, VLMC may sometimes crash due to bugs in the libVLC. The project will consist of; writing (unit) tests/test-cases for VLMC/libVLC APIs, and identify what's causing the crashes and fixing the bugs. The major area is rendering. Testing should be verified on at least two of the OSs: Linux, Windows and Mac. This project can help VLMC have stable releases and better quality control.
Plugin Architecture for VLMC
Proposed mentor: ?
VLMC uses frei0r plugins to add special effects. The project consists of designing and implementing a plugin architecture that can take in lua/python/compiled-plugins(.so) plugins.