SoC 2009 projects
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Here is a list of the accepted projects for Google Summer of Code 2OO9.
List of current VLC projects
- Project page: SoC 2009/QuickTimeVR Playback
- Student: León Moctezuma
- Mentor: Antoine Cellerier
- Comentor: Yuval Levy
- VLC is a cross platform media player widely used and FreePV is a panoramic viewer that was initially developed due to the lack of an implementation of QuickTime and Shockwave for Linux, both work with QuickTime files and the problem arise from that, since video and vr share the mime type, to solve this, the main goal is to integrate the FreePV library into VLC to enable it to play QuickTimeVR contents, the second goal is to explore the use of wiimote as an advance interaction method.
- The project is about extending the Media Library(ML) for VLC Player. The media library will allow users to manage all their local and network media. The project will use the basic structure that already exists for the ML and will focus on extending the features. New features include Search, Smart playlists, Annotations and "Just play music".
Lua Services Discovery
- Project page: SoC 2009/Lua Services Discovery
- Student: Fabio Ritrovato
- Mentor: Jean-Philippe Andre
- The main goal of this project will be giving VideoLAN a Lua framework to load scriptable services discovery, to make them easier to write, if they don't require C complexity.
- Second goal will be giving VideoLAN access to a great number of online music and video services, like Jamendo, Magnatune, youtube, Dailymotion, etc..., using the new Lua modules.
A Media Center Interface for VLC
- Project page: SoC 2009/Media Center Interface for VLC
- Student: Barry Wardell
- Mentor: Ilkka Ollakka
- While it is easy to use and functional, the existing default, Qt based GUI for VLC is quite minimal and basic. I propose to develop a new "Media Center" style GUI. This GUI will be based on Qt/OpenGL and will aim to be aesthetically pleasing, while remaining easy to use and functional. It will draw on many nice features of other popular media center software such as Front Row, Windows Media Center and XBMC.
- The Windows DXVA API gives access to video decoding and processing in the graphic card. Decoding with the GPU will reduce the load on the CPU and (hopefully) speed up the decoding. This project aims at creating a MPEG2 and H.264 decoder for VLC using this API.