SoC 2008 projects
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Here is a list of the accepted projects for Google Summer of Code 2OO8.
List of current projects
- Project page: SoC 2008/PanoramaViewing
- Student: Michael Ploujnikov
- Mentor: Yuval Levy, Jean-Baptiste Kempf, Antoine Cellerier
- The goal of this project is to make VLC a one-stop solution for viewing panoramas of various formats. Currently, FreePV is the best/only cross-platform, non-proprietary solution for viewing QuickTimeVR and plain image panoramas. However it suffers from a few drawbacks, which include difficult installation, browser plug-in conflicts and low popularity. The intent is to integrate the FreePV rendering code with VLC. This should not only automatically alleviate installation difficulty and plug-in conflicts, but also bring panorama viewing to a much larger audience. This project will initially focus on basic support for QTVR files and equirectangular images.
- In my project I should do fullscreen controller, backend for Phonon and playlist improvements. FS controller have to be clickable, dragable with all VLC functionality. Phonon backend will help spread VLC and support its using by other developers. And finally I will upgrade playlist, fix and update DragAndDrop and other bugs.
Enhance PVR capabilities of VLC
- Project page: SoC 2008/Enhance PVR capabilities of VLC
- Student: Dylan Yudaken
- Mentor: Pierre d'Herbemont
- VLC has fast become one of the most common video players available for 'non-technical' users. The ability to watch streams easily and efficiently is a huge advantage for VLC. The ability to timeshift streams has been added to the latest unstable builds, however it is vastly underfeatured and not nearly ready for release. The features would enhance VLC to a new level which would allow a new set of users to use it.
- I propose to extend & improve the PVR capabilities of VLC. The current version is severely lacking in functionality and performance. There is a very basic timeshift capability already. To this I will add the ability to randomly seek through the buffer (fast forward, rewind, etc ). The ability to save buffers and continue recording to the new file will be added. These recordings will be in any chosen format. These features will help anyone who uses VLC to watch TV shows to easily turn their client into a MythTV/Media Centre style client.
- I will tie the module in with the user interface properly so that the state of the buffer and the current position can be easily seen.
- I then plan to begin work on a framework that combines all of these features into a simple interface easily accessible with a remote control. The interface will combine VLM and the media library into a single easily accesible place. The interface will have the ability to 'talk' to the server sending commands such as changing tv channel or switching input source.
- With this and the completion of VLM and the playlist managing system VLC will have the capabilities to become a fully featured PVR system with the massive advantage of it being run off a streaming server if need be.
- The VLC media player has been port to many different platforms, but it lacks Windows CE support since some versions. This project aims at making VLC work on a Windows CE platform, with a few features:
- Rebuild of interface to adapt it to small screens
Create a new VLC interface for Maemo (internet tablet)
- Project page: SoC 2008/New VLC interface for Maemo
- Student: Antoine Lejeune
- Mentor: Rafaël Carré
- The goal is to create a new interface for VLC with Maemo, a Debian-based development platform for handheld devices used by Nokia N800 and N810 devices and to package VLC for this platform.
- The main constraint are the small size of the screen which means the GUI must be thought specifically for this platform and the fact that the devices is not very powerful.
DLNA UPnP A/V integration
Even if it is controverted, UPnP A/V Is a widely used standard set of protocols for networked digital audio and video equipment interoperability, thus making it almost a requirement digital media software that aim to become real part of the average multimedia home network. This project aims to implement at least the Media Server part in VLC media player, which will enable it to advertise and stream media to DNLA UPnP A/V enabled devices, such as the PlayStation 3.