Outreachy May 2016
This wiki page covers the work of the VideoLAN project as a mentoring organization for Outreachy the successor of the Outreach Program for Women, in order to improve Template:VLC media player and Template:VLMC.
- 1 VLC media player
- 2 VideoLAN Movie Creator
- 3 Outreachy Summer 2015
- 4 VLC and VLMC Idea categories
- 5 Getting started
- 6 Key ideas for VLC
- 7 Other Ideas for VLC
VLC media player
VLC media player is a cross-platform multimedia player, encoder and streamer application. It is one of the most successful open-source projects without any professional structure underneath.
VLC media player is downloaded at an approximate monthly rate of 40 millions from the main website and that's not including third-party distributions (like Linux, BSD, Android or iOS)!
VideoLAN Movie Creator
Template:VLMC currently awaits a transition to the current libvlc API and it's actual 1.0 release!
Outreachy Summer 2015
If selected and developed, Outreachy projects for VLC or VLMC will be included in later releases.
All projects are covered by the GPL (v2+) or LGPL (v2.1+) licenses depending on the module.
VLC and VLMC Idea categories
You should really read this
This page is split in three lists of ideas:
- The main ideas are what seem to be key projects for VLC or VLMC and should be more thrilling than the other ones; we have assigned a potential mentor to each of these.
- The other ideas are less detailed but could be good ideas too.
- Mini Projects are short-span projects which can be given as Qualification tasks or extended to be a full project.
Original good ideas will be valued. We don't want to impose anything. This is Free and Open Source software.
If you don't want to apply for Outreachy but want other ideas to develop on, check the Mini Projects page!
And on the IRC channel #videolan on the Freenode Network, you can have even more ideas.
Compile VLC or VLMC
This may sound trivial, but it's harder than many expect. VLC's and VLMC's compilation chains are different for every operating system. They don't really use the default toolchains on Windows or OS X, but a simple *nix like ./configure && make doesn't really do the trick either. We have plenty of information available on this wiki and we will happily provide help on our IRC channel.
Provide a small patch
Let's get in touch
We have 3 major communication channels at VideoLAN. Our mailing-lists to discuss patches and further development related topics. Furthermore, we have our web forums for end-user support. This means 2 things: 1) people using VLC media player on any operating system 2) people using libvlc or the VLC web plugin in their own applications or installations. Finally, there is our IRC channel #videolan on the Freenode network. It's open to any kind of discussion. Usage issues, questions how to compile VLC or VLMC, getting to know the fellow developers, etc.
Key ideas for VLC
Assembly optimizations in VLC
If you are fond of writing ASM and you are fluent in MMX/SSE2/SSE4, there are many interesting things in VLC to speed up.
- Profiling VLC
- video filters ASM speedups (see modules/video_filter/blend.c)
- audio filters ASM speedups (see modules/audio_filter/equalizer.c)
- Porting other ASM video filters to VLC.
This project needs some good ASM knowledge and good C experience.
- Stuff to read: http://www.agner.org/optimize/
Proposed mentor: jb, flx42
Advanced Audio Filters
We are looking for a skilled audiophile that knows a lot about audio theory and practice to work on new audio filters.
- SRS WoW like or other 3D effects;
- channels mixing, notably upmixing, like Prologic-II;
- tracks mixing, and transitions;
- scriptable new audio filters in lua and enable users to create whatever audio filtering function they want in a Lua script;
- LADSPA or other libraries integration.
This project needs some good audio knowledge and good C experience.
Qualification task: port any audio filter from MPlayer
Proposed mentor: geal
VLC Test Suite
This project aims at making automatic tests to improve VLC quality.
- Write a series of tests for vlc-internal
- Integrate a framework for automated plugins testing with the automake build system
- Automate the different codec playback/mux/etc tests
- Automate the subtitles tests
- Write tests for the different bindings: Mac OS X Framework/Python Bindings... etc.
This project is a code project, require good knowledge of C
Proposed mentor: Rémi
VLC Personal Cloud Project 2.0
The personal cloud project is a simple project to allow people to play their media files anywhere in the world.
Through the http interface of VLC, a user can:
- list the medias from the Media Library,
- play those medias,
- those medias get transcoded and streamed in:
- iPhone format
- Android format
- A VLC webplugin
A good example of the aim is http://www.vodobox.c.la/
This project has to work on the configuration and NAT traversal.
This projects needs knowledge in HTML and JS; it might require C coding.
Proposed mentor: jb
We need to reinforce the media library capabilities and its integration with external metadata sources, notably for TV shows.
Proposed mentor: ??
We need to be able to stream everything to your Google TV, Apple TV or raspberrypi powered shairport service. Airport is an non-open protocol that allows wireless streaming of audio, video, multimedia to supported devices.
The tasks would consist of:
- Understanding how AirPlay works, try with any device if available.
- Configure a test setup using raspberrypi or your own computer or any TV device if available, play with couple of available players who support AirPlay. This is just to get a feel of what it is you will be trying to implement for vlc-android.
- Study couple of opensource implementations like shairport
- Run/test/deploy VLC on simulator or android device
- Implement an AirPlay aout that would stream audio to your AirPlay supported device (shairport with rpi/computer or Apple TV or Google TV)
- Test with couple of android devices if available, ask mentors and community to test, report bugs, suggestions
- Study how video works, vout for vlc works, if have time implement video streaming as well.
Proposed mentor: ??
VLC Sync Play across devices
By leveraging zeroconf and rtsp make possible to decode in sync in multiple devices a video stored in one. Tasks:
- Implement a simple protocol for discovery and announce
- Implement the discovery system
- At least one of the following
- Provide a UI for Qt (Windows / Linux)
- Provide a UI for Android
- Provide a UI for OS X
Proposed mentor: lu_zero
XML fast and small implementation
The goal of this project is to write a new XML backend, based on a smaller library than the full libxml2. Speed would be nice, but code size matters here. Beware: we need to have a stream-XML based API, not a DOM one.
This project requires good knowledge of C.
Proposed mentor: etix
Port VLC's NPAPI web plugin to PPAPI
We need to support the PPAPI interfaces this summer to keep playback support within Google Chrome, since they dropped the existing NPAPI architecture. A proof-of-concept was developed already, but needs refactoring, polishing and testing.
Requires good C or/and C++ knowledge and a basic understanding of web browser internals. The ability to test on more than one platform would be a very strong plus.
Proposed Mentor: feepk
Other Ideas for VLC
DVD audio support
Very difficult project for Audio fans Proposed mentor: jb
Sync your mp3 player with the media library Proposed mentor: ???
HD DVD support
Very difficult project for someone having the right hardware Proposed mentor: jb
Multi-Angle DVD support
We need multi-angle DVD support Proposed mentor: Meuuh