Our mirrors are kindly operated by sponsors, you can find the complete list here. If you would like to provide a mirror to the VideoLAN project please read the following sections.
- A public mirror available in HTTP
- About 30 GB of disk space at this time
- At least 1 Gbps connectivity
- At least 4 rsync per day (more is better!)
- Either rsync or FTP access to scan the actual state of the mirror
Setting up a mirror
The first step is to clone the rsync repository using the following command:
rsync --verbose --recursive --times --links --hard-links --perms --stats --delete-after --timeout=300 rsync://rsync.videolan.org/videolan-ftp /path/to/repository/destination
Edit your crontab (crontab -e) to sync the cron every hour:
31 * * * * sleep $(($RANDOM/1024)); rsync --verbose --recursive --times --links --hard-links --perms --stats --delete-after --timeout=300 rsync://rsync.videolan.org/videolan-ftp /path/to/repository/destination
Finally setup a read-only rsync daemon using a similar configuration:
[videolan] path = /path/to/repository/destination comment = VideoLAN repository uid = nobody gid = nogroup read only = yes
NOTE: if you're using a CDN in front of the repository be sure to clear the cache at least once a day!
Once your mirror is setup, please contact us and be sure to send:
- A name and contact email address
- HTTP, FTP (if applicable) and rsync URLs to the file tree on your server
- The name, URL and logo of the operator / organization / sponsor you represent (preferably in 137x54)
After reviewing your application your mirror will be added to our load balancer.