This page is the starting point for the VideoLAN Knowledge Base. Its goal is to document as much information about codecs, fileformats, protocols etc. Although mainly consisting of technical information, it is intended to be easily understandible by all users. It is something like a dictionary or a encyclopedia on video/audio streaming/playing.
We can then link to these definitions from our user documentation and stuff.
- About audio and video formats, like DivX and AC2
- About different file types, like .avi and .mpg
- How data is sent from one place to another
- Look up VideoLAN related words and concepts
- Other Multimedia Software
- Software companies related (or not related) to VideoLAN
- Related web links
- VLS, VLC and server software and hardware
- 3rd party projects related to VideoLAN
- About VideoLAN
- Different ways to display output
- Different ways to control VLC
- How to get DRM-free music.
- Where to add hardware that works with vlc/vls.
Mike Melanson and Diego Biurrun from the FFmpeg project also started the MultimediaWiki where you can find tons of information about multimedia technology.