This page is an introduction to compilation of VLC for Android on Linux.
Eclipse, SDK and NDK installation
- Create a working directory android.
- Go to Android SDK page and download android-sdk_r10-linux_x86.tgz.
- Decompress into android folder.
- Run tools/android.
- In the tool, install "SDK Platform Android 2.3, API 10", and follow the instructions.
You can have more details, if needed.
- Check that the SDK installation is correct.
- Go to Android NDK page.
- Download http://dl.google.com/android/ndk/android-ndk-r5b-linux-x86.tar.bz2.
- Decompress into android folder, next to your android-sdk-linux_x86 folder.
As used by your distribution, install eclipse with your package manager:
apt-get install eclipse (debian) yum install eclipse (Fedora) pacman -S eclipse (Arch) ...
And run it, at least once, and then quit eclipse.
The ADT plugin is required to compile on Android.
- Go to ADT page.
- Start Eclipse, then select Help > Install New Software....
- Add the "ADT Plugin" repository with https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ as URL
- Validate and select the checkbox next to Developer Tools and click Next, Next, Finish.
- Restart Eclipse.
- Go to Menu > Window > Preferences... and then Android from the left pane.
- Point the SDK Location in to your downloaded SDK directory.
- Ok, and quit Eclipse.
Be sure to have installed git and the usual build tools, like autotools, or gcc.
Set $ANDROID_SDK to point to your android SDK directory
Set $ANDROID_NDK to point to your android NDK directory
Add some useful binaries in your path
If you plan to use the emulator, you need a build without neon
Those exports must be set at all times, notably for the contribs and the configure.
Get VLC Source
Use the VLC git repository to get the source!
In your android folder, run:
We need 3rd party libraries. We will fetch them from the Internetz.
cd extras/contrib ./bootstrap -t arm-eabi -d android make cd -
This will take time. This is perfectly normal.
If this step fails, you are missing some build tools. See Compile.
mkdir build cd build ../extra/package/android/configure.sh
Build the JNI interface for libvlc
cd ../extra/package/android VLC_BUILD_DIR=../../../build VLC_CONTRIB=../../contrib make
Package in eclipse
- In Eclipse, create a new Android project from existing source by giving the extra/platform/android/vlc-android path.
- Compile your project using Eclipse.
Run it and enjoy!